To stop coming over the top golf swing is to correct a slice in the golf swing, and pulled golf shots, too. That all-too-common over the top move creates the opposite of the desired inside to out swing path in golf.
BEFORE focusing on golf swing mechanics as listed below needed to hit a draw shot to fix the slice golf swing…
- the right elbow in the golf swing, and
- left forearm supination in the golf swing.
…FIRST a mental awakening is required before mechanics can be changed from the common outside to inside swing path which produces slices AND pulls:
- actually, just about every fault in the golf swing comes from a faulty visualization of what is actually supposed to happen at impact.
- fixing a faulty understanding of impact is the first step to fixing ANY fault…
- …because if the mind isn’t on board with the desired interaction between the club face and the ball, then the mind will block any efforts to make the physical changes required for proper impact.
The most common ugly golf shots arise from the over-the-top move because this is the most common manifestation of a faulty understanding of impact:
- fat shots are caused by over-the-top as that move makes the angle of attack into impact too steep…
- and thin shots are caused by over-the-top as the golfer tries to come out of a too-steep attack angle at the last micro second before impact with an upward move into the ball [so as to avoid the fat shot, e.g., hitting the turf first and then the ball]…
- …that upward attack angle into the ball invariably exposes the leading edge of the club face to the ball for the all-too-common skulled, or thin, “worm-burner” shot.
Are you ready to experience an epiphany?
In short, you’ll need an epiphany on a mental level before your mind will allow you to make physical changes;
- I promise you will have such an epiphany if you take the time to absorb the videos and text herein.
- be warned – your survival instincts want to protect you from using the energy it will take to reprogram your brain’s “software” to accept a reality that is opposite of the mind’s simple, yet flawed, logic.
- that flawed logic is the brick wall between you and the golf ball striking skills that will make golf a game of hitting golf shots versus a game of “playing golf swings”.
- there is no golf swing per se – the swing is simply a result of the intention to hit the ball.
- hitting the ball is all about throwing the club head at the ball from the inside.
If somehow you don’t experience your epiphany after the first time through this post, then read and watch it again;
- I guarantee that if you don’t “get it”, that frustration will continue to spoil your golf journey.
- likewise, when you do “get it”, then you will be on the path to enjoying the hit and playing golf shots instead of “playing golf swings”.
Golf is a 2-target game
You see, golf is a 2-target sport:
- there is the ball’s intended target [green, fairway, flag, et al]; this is the red TARGET LINE
- then there is the club head’s target which is the ball
- the club head approaches the ball from the green inside-to-out HIT LINE
- that HIT LINE is diagonal to the red TARGET LINE pictured in the video still shot below.
The mind’s simple-yet-flawed logic must be replaced with an epiphany
To cure over top swing requires accepting the counter intuitive facts shown in the hyperlinked video with slow motion of impact zone, that is [see slow motion video of impact in next section below]:
- to hit the ball straight requires the club head to swing in a circle around the body, and
- to hit a grounded ball up in the air requires descending blow.
More in-depth revisualization – REALLY see and understand impact to cure slice golf swing
The goal of MyInstinctiveGolf is to make golf a reflex sport where the proper mechanics are simply a result of the intention to hit the ball.
- Job #1 is to be absolutely clear about the intention of impact so that your mind, hands and body can intelligently reverse engineer on a subconscious level what needs to be done in order to be successful.
- golf is a 2-target sport [inside-to-out HIT LINE diagonal to the TARGET LINE]
- the club face descends upon the ball [to COMPRESS it and impart BACKSPIN]
It takes real study to overcome the counter intuitive reality of the above concepts.
Without such an epiphany your mind’s misguided beliefs will manifest as hand and body movements [typically the over the top move] that will make it impossible to hit successful shots with the consistency needed to break 80 consistently.
Saturate your logical and subconscious mind with the counter intuitive concepts introduced so far –
- because what I’m about to show you about the classic golf swing of legendary ball strikers like Ben Hogan and my mentor, Peter Croker, PGA Australia will otherwise be difficult to comprehend and accept.
This is how you’ll develop a dependable golf swing controlled by your thought-free sensory motor system versus your cognitive thinking [which invites hoping-worrying] system.
- Please click to see my in-depth Article including short video segments, “Subconscious Golf [Counter-Intuitive] Battles You Must Win” for more about how your logic and thinking are working against you.
- Once you shed light on what hitting the golf ball is REALLY all about, then the changes you need to make become almost obvious and the road to making those changes is clear.
- That is, the somewhat odd [illogical] movements made in a dependable golf swing won’t seem odd anymore because you’ll understand the absolute necessity for such movements…
- ,,,and your mind will allow you to make those once unnatural movements seem natural in fairly short order with my training.
Now, and only now, with the clarity of a CORRECT intention in place…
…can one begin to understand the otherwise seemingly strange movements and intentions that will turn the slice-producing and pull-producing over the top [outside to in swing path] move…
…into a draw-producing inside to out downswing on a HIT LINE that is diagonal to the TARGET LINE.
You can see this TARGET LINE versus the diagonal [inside-to-out] HIT LINE in the picture below of Peter Croker, PGA Australia.
This “direction of throw” [heel-hosel directed right at the ball] is required in order to incite the protective instincts in the left elbow and to naturally cause the sequence of kinesiology events [supination-ulnar deviation-flex] needed for the proper yet counter-intuitive impact.
You can see now that if the first thing I mentioned in this post to cure a slice would be to throw the heel of the club head at the ball that you’d think I was preaching some crazy new-fangled rogue approach;
- when in fact such an intention is the cornerstone of the classic golf swing…probably going back to the 1500s.
- throwing the heel at the ball from the top is the classic way to ensure an inside-to-out DIRECTION OF HIT.
- throwing the heel-hosel at the ball from our well-defined take-back and backswing to “Position A” where the right wrist is bent [not cocked] in the classic “drink tray waiter” condition.
- remember, the DIRECTION OF HIT, or HIT LINE, is related to the ball “Position B” being the club head’s target.
- the TARGET LINE is the ball’s target.
- the TARGET LINE is NOT the club head’s target.
I cover Pete’s left hand action in more detail [and with my own insights] in my Instinctive Golf Swing video:
- START Mark 13:25
Okay, now that you’ve REALLY accepted a new paradigm – let’s go DEEPER
At this point you have the possibility of digesting some critical concepts that would have otherwise seemed utterly bizarre and not even worth consideration!
Hold on because things are about get even more curiouser.
For instance, let’s start with this hard-to-understand elbow-sockets-outward picture from Ben Hogan’s “Five Lessons” along with a sketch showing the elbows being pushed together by a tight band!
Included in the picture is a golf training aid designed to encourage pushing the elbows together and elbow sockets out.
Watching the prescribed 9 minutes of the video below will help you make sense of this Hogan pic:
- see how critical it is to move the hands in a way that pushes the elbows together;
- this hand-elbow action ensures a descending compressing backspin-imparting blow at impact – just like we saw in the impact slow motion video earlier!
- see how we educate the hands to move in a way that ties in with the body’s movements;
- this built-in syncing of hand action with body action is the key to a consistent golf swing!
- 56:20 mark leads to learning how hand action bio-mechanically [automatically] engages hip and knee action for a timing-free golf swing transition.
- 1:03:15 mark talks-shows and references Hogan’s thick rubber band sketch pushing arms together and pushing elbow sockets out [pic-sketch above] and how the associated hand action delivers a descending compressing backspin-imparting blow at impact.
Again, the above 9-minute clip with Bob Ford and Pete interacting very clearly addresses the hand action that creates the elbow-s0ckets-out dynamic [arms pushed together and connected to body] action at impact…
- which creates the interaction between club face and ball shown in the slow motion video above.
Can you handle even more truth?! Let’s go DEEPER still.
The above attached Hogan “Five Lessons” pic and related video above is kind of mind blowing – but I think you are “getting it” – right?
Let’s go DEEPER still to for a dynamic demonstration of the hand action in the golf swing and how to get the hands-body automatically working together.
This 1-minute clip to the right I summarize the:
left hand’s role.
right hand’s role.
- how the hands work together
Conclusion – if you got this far you’re in the epiphany golf zone
Congratulations if you made it through the mind-blowing material above – the epiphany, or epiphanies, you’ve experienced will open up new possibilities for your golf game.
The counter intuitive golf concepts uncovered here will free your hands and body up to be retrained because the mind’s visualization and acceptance of the new concepts will allow the required physical changes to take place now.
As always, I’d love to hear from you about any and all things golf.